Friday, June 21, 2019

Koh Phangan off Koh Samui, with my new camera


I am very pleased with the photographs that I have taken with my new Canon Coolpix A900 camera.
It is a compact camera, but the results are excellent given its size.
I had been wrestling with the decision about whether to use only a phone camera or whether to buy a new camera.

I had disposed of all my cameras (DSLR, film SLR, compact Canons etc) because the camera on my phone was good (Galaxy S7), and using a phone to upload to the web, this blog etc is sooooo convenient. And they were cumbersome and a bother to carry when travelling, backup was tedious and there were those added peripheral things like the power cord and battery charger - that while they may seem to be trivial items, they took on more significance when travelling - when every unnecessary encumbrance or weight is unwelcome.

Nagging in the back of my mind was the knowledge that the phone camera would never be as good as a dedicated camera. After a long discussion with a very helpful man at JB HiFi, I knew that going down the path of a phone camera only holiday was not a good idea.
So this Nikon is not the latest model on the market, and it is not top of the range, but it ticks all the boxes.
It has an articulated screen - it folds out for taking shots from awkward angles, there is no external battery charger thingo, it connects easily via wifi to my phone for upload to the cloud.

Most importantly the detail and optical zoom are of course far superior to the phone camera.
The shots are not as luminous as phone camera images, but they can be adjusted.
That brightness and luminosity that phone cameras have due to the excellent software that they have is attractive but deceptive.

So all in all... very happy with the decision to return to real camera world. I still like my Galaxy 7 camera, but it now has a different role. 

The original image
 
 
When cropped, the details on the boat are still clear and crisp.

The details of the inside of the boat are much better defined in the image taken  using the Nikon.

Taken in difficult light - the right side of the boat on the left is still defined.
The image from the camera phone (which I have not uploaded because it is not a fair comparison) was quite blurred.

No comments: